[texbirds] Utley...Lake Devine

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 23:30:19 -0500

.
D and I birded Lake Devine this morning getting 37 species....Nothing
unusual but was very happy to run into old friend Steve McDonald, one of
the best people and birders you can have as a friend. We had so many
stinking Cedar Waxwings, I don't even want to try to estimate...Huge flock
of them!300-400. Steve? Not a lick of shorebird habitat to be had...My
only shorebird was Killdeer.
Dropped by Webberville Park around 11:30 and another couple of birders
were there. As I was leaving there were around 270 Swainson's and other
hawks going over well to the east of the park, in Bastrop
Co....Prothonotary was singing and a early Chestnut-sided which I could
never get a photo of.
Utley cabin a bit slow with only Indigos, Nashvilles etc. But around
5:30 so many Franklin's Gulls came over .....I grew weary of trying to
estimate numbers, I would not be surprised if not ~1000. Mixed in were the
usual migrant raptors. Passerines were few but had a single Chat,
Yellowthroat and a handful of Indigos. One very interesting bird that I
never nailed down but am thinking of as Worm-eating.HO...My woods are just
getting too dense. A small flock of ORORs rushed thru. Critter cam
captured quite a bit while I was in Cedar Park including 4 Hermit Thrushes
at one time.
It is peak Whip time, had I think 4 this evening but some so far off as
to be barely audible (for me). Oddly I did not have a single Chuck A
pair of Black-bellied W. Ducks are coming over most evenings when I am out
for nightjars ...Maybe scouting for nest locations.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/