[texbirds] Utley spring migrations and nestings

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 12:59:51 -0600

.
   Expanded my "yard" considerably today for a few hours.  Found nothing
rare, nothing unusual which is fine with me.  Got really into the seasonal
change aspects of birding though.  Everything is right on time in Utley
pretty much.
  The 7-9 Pine Warblers that were here at the feeders and singing away,
have all left to return to where ever they go.  This always happens around
mid-Feb.

  First thing early this AM my FOS G. White-fronts (~65)came calling over
with a few white geese.  They were in turn followed shorty by a very large
(160)flock of unidentified silent ducks flying high....All headin north.

 Five N. Flickers...almost absent around here all winter, suddenly to get 5
in a morning .....interesting.?

 Purple Martins 2 and overhead Cave Swallows ...both quite vocal.

 Bluebirds, Carolina Wrens, chickadees and titmice, all nest building
already.

 Red-shouldered hawks maybe as well as they constantly are screaming around
here

 Female R. B. Woodpecker still working on her cavity after almost 2 weeks.

 3 Species of owls were quite vocal last night

 Hermit Thrushes are suddenly back in higher numbers.

Everything is singing, including Courus Frogs.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/