[texbirds] Utley notes

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 13:47:45 -0500

*************************************************************************************************************
  It has been a very slow migrant day here except for some early morning
flyover Dickcissels, for the morning I did not detect a single warbler
species except a singing TEWA, which is very uncommon here...But the south
wind is healthy and good for the migrants for a change..
  Last night and this morning I cataloged a list of all species (all
native) that have visited the bird baths which were often recorded solely
by Critter Cams and came up with a remarkable 89 species over the past 4
odd years...I have a folder somewhere that I exported many photos to, but
I'll be darned if I can find it or find how to get it opened....I have
little doubt that once I can find that , there will be a few additional
species I can add which I likely have forgotten about.  A hundred species
would be cool.

  The Turkey Vultures are once again nesting in the small cave in the
canyon behind the house, there is a particular behavior they exhibit when
coming to and from that location.  Breeding here has occurred for at least
23 years in the same cavity and it could be the same pair (They live a long
time) as TVs exhibit super tight site fidelity to a nesting location unless
it is overly disturbed or destroyed.

 Two large Texas Rat Snakes were copulating down on the edge of the
road....I hoped they were so intent on the matter at hand that I could
capture both and relocate them but they were to wise and warmed up to let
me get within 20 feet....They wreck havoc on the nesting birds here in
May-mid July.

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/