[texbirds] Utley, light ice birds

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:19:31 -0600

.
23f and a bit of ice will always bring a couple of hundred bird or more
whereas of warmer days there are far fewer....I check thru them often but
it Feb. and pretty much is static with nothing new really showing up and
about the same numbers.  However I have noticed that since about Jan. 18-20
it appears that all the towhees (Spotted and Eastern) have essentially
vanished and no long come in for chow..Same thing for the few
Yellow-rumpeds and Orange-crowns...Zero coming in now........
.........On the other hand I have Pine Warblers out the kazoo.  I check
every one closely for something different but they are all PIWAs for now

    The  Black Vultureman comes in even if there is no "meat" out there and
it will often peak at the ground as all the other birds wait for it to
clear.  I don't know what it is peaking at where the seed is thrown out but
surely not seed...Or?  Maybe bits of gravel

   A couple of siskins and goldfinches but usually up in the trees...With
the wind I don't spend a lot of out there .  One of the Crow people is
actually brave enough to come up the porch to quickly steal cat food but it
does so warily...Usually they sit around like bums wait for another
recharge on the chow..  12 Blue Jays ~85  cardinals, unknown etc. no.s of
sparrows and juncos but a ton...Keeps my busy, plus keeping  some thawed
water out.   Brrrr.
Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
120 N. Red Bud Trail. Elgin, Tx. 78621