[texbirds] Utley Sept. 1

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 10:03:25 -0500

*
As the sky was lighting up to the east, not much moving overhead except for
a lone L. B. Curlew, a couple of buntings and the ubiquitous Uplands. There
was one call note I am tempted to claim as R. B. Grosbeak , possibly
Black-headed, but will let it slide...The "pink" notes were pretty much in
favor of though.
  Suddenly from near 360 degrees around,shotguns began blasting, what??,
then I remembered the date, Dove season began I assume.

  Walked the area around here and land wise it was almost silent, Blue Jays
and Carolina Wrens for the most part until the sun was well up then the
crow people started up but otherwise just silent.  Passerine migrants,
nothing but gnatcatchers so far, not even a empid or Yellow

  Walking back up the hill toward the house, I noticed a lift off of kites,
about 30 or so to the south of Turner's, a single Swallow-tailed joined
in.  A bit later two Coopers were circling alone away from that mix..

  On my road, down near the gate, something had one of my Inca Doves as a
snack last night but I could not find any tracks in the sand.  Did find
Bobby the Bobcat's though.  The Texas Persimmons are getting ripe but they
are tiny due to the drought.  Hefty piles of racoons turds here and there
make it obvious each year when it is harvest time.

  The crow people brought me another prize this morning in the form of a
bleached rabbit bone shard.

  The drought has eliminated any chance of finding butterflies or
wildflowers.  I have seen zero butterflies in the last week or so nor are
there insects coming to my lights at night.. This looooong drought is
really sapping my enthusiasm :-)  Enough whining time to put the sprinklers
out.

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/