[texbirds] Utley,.... R.B. Merg., Merlin, Pipits, Caracaras, Golden Plover, Brewer's BB

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 11:34:10 -0500

Stayed close to  home and birded around here...The ugly river has a lot of
birds retreating to ponds and water away from it.  Birded some private ,
(sloppy road stuff), as well as Earhadt Rd, and Wilbarger Bend Rd. etc. and
my place.  Numerous ducks of 5-6 species.  The usual sparrows with a lot of
Zonos.  I regretted not taking a scope.  Lots of Black Vultures but not a
single Buteo. I did mostly Gladys birding this morning.
Red-breasted Mergansers 2 (m. f.) flushed my FOF
D.C. Cormorants ~ 70
Cattle Egrets 2
4  Dark Plegadis Ibis..too far to determine species
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Merlin 1 unknown subspc.s (hunting pipits)
Caracaras 38 feeding on ground.
Golden Plover 1, too far to determine species, but likely the default.
Greater Yellowlegs 28 in various locations
Lesser Yellowlegs 1 Earhardt Rd.
Calidrids ~10-12
Wilson's. Snipe 1 Earhardt Rd.
Wilson Phalarope 2 Earhardt Rd.
Merlin 1 unknown subspc.s (hunting pipits)
Caracaras 38 feeding on rain soaked ground.
Selasphorus hummer 1 my place
Scissor-tailed Fly. 7
Barn Swallows 2
Sprague's Pipits 4 + 2 flyovers
Am. Pipits 4-500 (really wished for a scope here)
Brown Thrasher 1
Brewer's Blackbirds 5 my FOF (Wilbarger Bend Rd.)
W. Meadowlarks ~ 22

  Also wanted to mention a Pileated Wood. that is hanging around my place
that has at least two white tail feathers that show real well in flight.  A
good marker if you happen to see it flying, less so when perched..  Would
appreciate hearing where if anyone happens to  see it elsewhere. Where did
all the flickers go?

  I have a few distant photos of caracaras, shorebirds, if any one needs
them but they are crappy

Brush Freeman
503-551-5150 Cell
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/