[texbirds] Re: Use of Codes on TEXBIRDS

  • From: Brent Ortego <brentortego@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, judy kestner <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 19:30:27 -0500

There is logic to the system that is not always apparent.  How do you code
Black-throated Gray and Black-throated Green Warblers.  The first two and last
word in their names are identical.  The first letter of the 3rd name is
identical.  In this style of confict in their system, they choose to use the
last letter of the unique word and this makes them BTYW and BTNW.  While the
system is fairly consistent, there are so many conflicts like the two mentioned
above they have a long list of exceptions.

While understanding the basic rules are importants, it also requires a fair
amount of just memorizing what some codes are.

Brent Ortego

Victoria, TX