[texbirds] Upper Texas Coast April 11 to 14

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 12:32:49 +0000 (UTC)

One of the ways Texbirds is useful over eBirds is the ability to report general
trends that can help you decide which way are you going to drive today to find
birds.John Arvin's weather/bird reports are immensely helpful. Local weather
somewhat. I find going outdoors and seeing which way the flag blows abetter
bet. If it's warm and muggy with a wind from west, not a good bird fall out
day.  A big temperature drop, play hooky from work!! So far I have had boom
and bust. I did not go to thecoast for each day, couldn't. When I did not,
birds were nonexistent at the inland sites I sought such as Katy Prairie, Bear
Creek, Rush Pitman in Bellaire, even if rainy.Sunday was best fallout day at
High Island, a 14 warbler, 2 vireo day for me, with many individuals of each
species. Bands of heavy rains moving from northwest to east brought in the
birds. The same conditions yesterday (Tuesday) were perhaps more giant clots
of clouds that drenched a larger area, and perhaps kept birds off coast. I got
a ten warbler daybut numbers were much more reduced compared to Sunday. But
shorebirds along to Anahuac NWR were stellar. Watching hundreds of shorebirds
as the sun is hanging to the far westbrought excellent views and they were all
close to the road.
Sunday, mostly Boy Scout Woods : Blackburian, Blue winged, Cerulean, B&W,
Prothonotary, American Redstart, Lousiana Waterthrush (Smith Oaks), Tennessee,
Northern Parula,Yellow, Bay breasted, Kentucky, Hooded, Ovenbird. Vireos: red
eyed, yellow-throated. Others; Indigo bunting, summer tanager, gray catbird,
great crested flycatcher, Eastern wood pewee, commonnighthawk, ruby throated
hummingbird
Tuesday: Blue winged, Prothonotary, American Redstart, Black throated Green,
Tennessee, Hooded, Ovenbird, B&W, Common Yellowthroat. No vireos. Others:
Summer & Scarlet Tanager (Smith Oaks)Indigo & Painted Buntings, Gray cheeked
Thrush (Smith Oaks), Most species just one or two individuals seen. No
flycatchers expect scissor tailed. Anahuac near to evening had a lot of
swallows,tree, barn, rough winged. One American bittern. Should be, but
couldn't find Least Bitterns.
Yesterday's shorebirds 1985 and up 61: Long billed Dowitchers, some short
billed, Stilt, Lesser & Greater Yellowlegs, numerous Fulvouse Whistling Ducks,
too.Others: Yellow headed blackbirds on a cattle gate perched with other
blackbirds and grackles in the late afternoon sun.Whimbrels (dozens) and Upland
(field on 61 south of Fairview)
Carolyn DillHouston