[texbirds] Upland Sandpipers, etc..

  • From: Janice Houghton <jykhoughton@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:34:45 -0500

Two FOS Upland Sandpipers in the pasture in the same location I have been
observing them for years. (My father who was born in 1908 saw them when he
was young) They foraged along the fence where one pasture had been
shredded and the other not. So happy it was shredded in time for their
arrival!
Several Scissortails and FOS Eastern Kingbirds were also working the area.
I've never seen more vivid-colored Scissortails! Their tails were still
short.

The local Crested Caracara were also foraging in the shredded area as the
family has been for several days. I believe their nest was located in a
ravine near my house. I observed them taking nesting material into the
trees in the ravine but I never saw the nest. They fledged two offspring
this year.

Good birding...
Janice Houghton
Lone Oak Community