[texbirds] Unusual Owl in North Fort Worth

  • From: "John and Emie Schueler/Stewart" <schueler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 18:45:49 -0600

At ~4:45 this afternoon, a large, white owl flew directly overhead while I
was walking in my neighborhood park (Acadia Park in the Park Glen
subdivision here in far northeast Fort Worth).  I was not quick enough to
get glasses on it, but I saw no evidence of a facial disc.  It  flew from NW
to SE, quickly disappearing behind the tree line.  I followed, but did not
see it again.  I have seen Barn Owls in the park, although not in several
years, and this bird did not fly or act like a Barn Owl.  Have there been
any reports of Snowy Owls anywhere near North Texas this winter?

John Schueler

Fort Worth