[texbirds] Unsung heros at South Padre Island

  • From: antshrike1@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 20:18:49 -0400 (EDT)

Birders have probably heard about the amazing fallout at South Padre Island but
may or may not be aware of the herculean efforts of help offered to innumerable
tired and wet migrant birds by Scarlet and George Colley and Troy and Robin
Zurovec.  The Colleys and Zurovecs put out many pounds of oranges and seed for
the hungry stragglers.  Scarlet was seen picking up the weakest of the migrants
and giving them the opportunity to dry off and fluff up.  She looked like a
mother hen taking care of her chicks.  Many survived that might have perished
without her help.  Meanwhile Troy would make a feeding run with a sack or
oranges, festooning the twigs or fences with orange halves.  By the time he
would be finished with a bag, the many orioles had already stripped the fruit
and Troy would make another run.  Today I heard they went out armed with meal
worms.  Wish I had been out there to see it.  Other birders also helped out by
slicing oranges or by making donations to buy more fruit.  And there were
plenty of stories of birders chasing off grackles to save poor wet warblers.
What an amazing event!

Dan Jones, Weslaco