[texbirds] Unknown flycatcher and nest

  • From: Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:36:00 -0500

Hi All,

I was at Muleshoe NWR (almost to the NM border) on Sat evening (9/6) and
saw a flycatcher that I was unable to identify. I was only able to get
pictures of it from the front, but it had strong wing bars that appeared
yellowish and you could definitely tell that its bill was two-toned. I was
leaning towards a Least Flycatcher, but its stomach was such a nice yellow,
its head was gray, and its wing bars did not appear white. I did not get to
see the extent of the primary projection and I did not hear it call. It was
by itself moving between trees to shrubs while catching insects. There was
a Yellow Warbler in the same tree and while the warbler appeared chunkier,
the two birds appeared similar in overall size.

I also saw a nest in a tree that I am unfamiliar with and was hoping
someone could tell me what species of bird may have created it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/33415644@N05/sets/72157647041774030/

​Thanks for any help!​

--
Jennifer Miller