[texbirds] Unknown Bird Recording from Waco Wetlands

  • From: Mary McCarley <marymccarley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 06:37:47 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I went to the Waco Wetlands last Tuesday looking for the American
Bittern, with no luck. Highlights were several Soras, Marsh Wrens,
Swamp Sparrows, American Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, Lincoln Sparrows,
and a couple Common Yellowthroats. At one point I saw a bird shoot
across the road in front of me, seemed to be a rail, but appeared to not
be a Sora. It was just a glimpse though. In the same area, we heard a
call from the ground hidden in the marsh grass. Here's a link to the
recording.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/287427

I checked a couple sounds on my Audubon Birds app. It responded to a
Clapper Rail call although this is out of range for that. It then
continued to call and another bird, possibly a Sora began calling back
and forth with it. Here is a recording of that.

http://www.xeno-canto.org/287428

I would love any feedback on these sounds. I am trying to get my audio
knowledge on par with my visual knowledge. Thanks!

Mary McCarley
Leander, TX