[texbirds] UPDATE: Common Raven - southwest Austin

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'texbirds'" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 18:58:58 -0500

Hi Texbirds,

Since I reported the Common Raven on Tuesday, 3/12, a CORA has been here
every day.  Sometimes it is on the power pole, other times it is in the
woods behind our house.  There is a dead-ripe odor emanating from the woods
this week, so I am guessing a largish dead animal is down there.  It reminds
me of the dead-hog odor that was a regular feature of my Edwards County
place...ah memories.  Perhaps the odor is enticing the CORA to visit?

And a big surprise, today there were two CORAs, hanging together.  At times
they would sail around in a circle above our house.  Now I am wondering
about the possibility of a nest somewhere in the vicinity.  Is that likely
in this area?  Or do they forage over a wide range?

Lori Markoff
southwest Austin