[texbirds] Tyler State Park 9-8-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 11:45:28 -0500

Howdy All!

This morning's bird walk was a little slow, probably because of the
strong wind.  We were surprised by a pair of Blue-winged Teal.  I'm
hoping that this fall and winter we'll have the large numbers of
waterfowl that we had last year.  Another surprise was the large number
of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers.  I put 30 on the eBird list, but I that is a
conservative estimate.  There may have been that many down the Old Road
Trail, they just wouldn't be still.  Pileated and Red-headed Woodpecker
have been very active the past several days making them easier to find.
Today's walk was the first of the fall migration bird walks.  I'll keep
y'all posted when the next walks will be.

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Sep 8, 2012 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

30 species

Blue-winged Teal  2

Great Egret  1

Little Blue Heron  1

Cattle Egret  2

Black Vulture  2

Turkey Vulture  7

Mississippi Kite  1

Red-shouldered Hawk  1

Mourning Dove  6

Ruby-throated Hummingbird  5

Red-headed Woodpecker  3

Red-bellied Woodpecker  1

Downy Woodpecker  5

Pileated Woodpecker  1

Olive-sided Flycatcher  1

White-eyed Vireo  3

Blue Jay  20

American Crow  9

Carolina Chickadee  17

Tufted Titmouse  12

White-breasted Nuthatch  2

Brown-headed Nuthatch  2

Carolina Wren  7

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  30

Northern Mockingbird  2

Pine Warbler  6

Summer Tanager  2

Northern Cardinal  6

Indigo Bunting  5

Dickcissel  1

Good birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

PNG image