[texbirds] Tyler State Park 9-29-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 16:23:44 -0500

Howdy All!

The bird tour was a little damp this morning to say the least.  It was
not a bust by any means.  The corner of the dam by the Big Pine camping
loop continues to produce during migration.  The highlight of the
morning was a Northern Parula.  That is where we also picked up Gray
Catbird.  It was fun on this trip because I had a small flock of
fledgling birders that were really enjoying themselves, even in the
rain.  A sizable flock of Chimney Swifts were catching bugs over the
dam.  Behind the Park Store was really happening once the rain became
too heavy to be walking in it.  Eastern Bluebirds, Pine Warblers, and
Eastern Phoebes were after bugs being knocked around by the rain.  The
best bird of that area was the 1st fall Blackburnian Warbler working the
Eastern Red Cedar by the Boathouse.  For the amount of rain that was
coming down, 31 species was a really good day and the folks that I had
the privilege to bird with made it that much better.

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Sep 29, 2012 8:00 AM - 10:30 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

31 species

Mallard  8

Pied-billed Grebe  6

Great Egret  1

Snowy Egret  1

Black Vulture  1

Turkey Vulture  7

Red-shouldered Hawk  1

American Coot  1

Killdeer  2

Mourning Dove  6

Chimney Swift  20

Belted Kingfisher  2

Downy Woodpecker  3

Pileated Woodpecker  1

American Kestrel  1

Eastern Phoebe  2

White-eyed Vireo  2

Blue Jay  12

American Crow  7

Carolina Chickadee  15

Tufted Titmouse  4

Carolina Wren  2

Eastern Bluebird  6

Gray Catbird  1

Northern Mockingbird  2

Brown Thrasher  1

Northern Parula  1

Blackburnian Warbler  1

Pine Warbler  14

Northern Cardinal  7

Common Grackle  2

Good Birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

PNG image