[texbirds] Tyler State Park 9-10-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 11:29:19 -0500

Howdy All!

A quick turn around the park today to get ready for this Saturdays bird
walk turned up some pretty good birds.  The lake dam was productive with
4 Red-breasted Nuthatches, House Wren, and a female Blue Grosbeak.  The
birds were pretty noisy there most of the morning, then it went really
quiet.  Must have had something to do with the male Sharp-shinned Hawk
that appeared over the trees.  The Pileated Woodpeckers in that area
were raucous, but I was only able to see one female near the dam
spillway.

Blackjack camping loop had another roving flock of small birds, mostly
chickadees.  I did get my FOF Yellow-bellied Sapsucker and Blue-headed
Vireo.  Lots of Ruby-crowned Kinglets showing up too.  The firebreak
near the Southside Day-use turn off had more Red-breasted Nuthatches,
Sapsuckers, Flickers, and Brown Thrashers.

I am going to try and get out again in the morning to get a better idea
what and where to bird this Saturday.  Y'all are more than welcome to
come on out and join me.  I'll be starting at 8:30am and heading out for
a couple of hours.  Let them know at the front office that you're here
to bird and I'll come up and meet you.

If you can't make it tomorrow, join us this Saturday, October 13, for
our "Let's Go Birding!" Bird tour.  We will begin at the front office at
8am and bird for a couple of hours.

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Oct 10, 2012 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

38 species

Mallard  6

Pied-billed Grebe  6

Great Blue Heron  2

Great Egret  1

Snowy Egret  1

Black Vulture  1

Turkey Vulture  11

Sharp-shinned Hawk  2

Red-shouldered Hawk  1

Killdeer  2

Mourning Dove  23

Belted Kingfisher  2

Red-bellied Woodpecker  5

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  3

Downy Woodpecker  5

Northern Flicker  3

Pileated Woodpecker  3

American Kestrel  1

Eastern Phoebe  6

Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  2

Blue-headed Vireo  1

Blue Jay  14

American Crow  9

Carolina Chickadee  32

Tufted Titmouse  2

Red-breasted Nuthatch  6

White-breasted Nuthatch  4

House Wren  1

Carolina Wren  6

Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  1

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  8

Eastern Bluebird  7

Northern Mockingbird  1

Brown Thrasher  4

Pine Warbler  5

Summer Tanager  1

Northern Cardinal  8

Blue Grosbeak  1

Good Birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

PNG image