[texbirds] Tyler State Park 3-10-2015

  • From: Boyd Sanders <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 21:56:04 +0000

Howdy All!
Lots of little birds all over the park after the heavy rains. The American
Goldfinches and Pine Siskins are still here in large numbers all over the park.
It was a good day for sparrows. I wish I had more time to really get in some
birding. The spillway by the dam had Swamp, Song, and Lincoln's. The bird of
the day though, was the Le Conte's Sparrow singing in the tall grass of the
spillway. I never could get the little guy to show himself. Blackjack Nature
Trail was also full of goldfinches and siskins and Chipping Sparrows. Wood
Ducks and singing Winter Wren were at the Beaver Pond. For not getting to
really bird, I did pretty well.

Here's the list:

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Mar 10, 2015 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

48 species (+1 other taxa)

Wood Duck  2

Mallard  4

Mallard (Domestic type)  4

Pied-billed Grebe  8

Great Blue Heron  1

Black Vulture  3

Turkey Vulture  7

Sharp-shinned Hawk  1

Red-shouldered Hawk  1

Red-tailed Hawk  1

Mourning Dove  8

Belted Kingfisher  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  2

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2

Downy Woodpecker  2

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  4

Pileated Woodpecker  2

Eastern Phoebe  4

Blue Jay  5

American Crow  9

Purple Martin  2

Carolina Chickadee  10

Tufted Titmouse  4

White-breasted Nuthatch  2

Brown-headed Nuthatch  2

Brown Creeper  3

House Wren  1

Winter Wren  3

Carolina Wren  6

Eastern Bluebird  10

Hermit Thrush  5

American Robin  50

Northern Mockingbird  2

Cedar Waxwing  8

Pine Warbler  9

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  15

Eastern Towhee  1

Chipping Sparrow  20

Field Sparrow  1

Le Conte's Sparrow  1

Song Sparrow  1

Lincoln's Sparrow  2

Swamp Sparrow  3

White-throated Sparrow  30

Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored)  50

Northern Cardinal  9

Red-winged Blackbird  7

Pine Siskin  90

American Goldfinch  100

Good birding,

Boyd A. Sanders, BBA, CIG
Master Interpreter/Exhibits Coordinator
Tyler State Park
(903)597-5338
Boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)."- Red Green

[tpwd_lbo_logo]<http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/>