[texbirds] Tyler State Park 12-29-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 14:31:13 -0600

Howdy All!

=20

I made a quick turn around the park right after lunch to see what was
going on.  I birded the firebreaks at the southeast side of the park and
lots of the common species, but I did hear Greater Roadrunner and also
flushed an American Woodcock.  The Blackjack nature trail is very busy
with winter sparrows.  There were tons of Chipping.  I was walking
through a large flock of Chippings when a Sharp-shinned Hawk came flying
in and the chaos started.  I had about 100 "chippies" fly right past me
in a mad scramble.  It was an unsuccessful attempt but exciting
nonetheless.  On the other side of the trail from this event I did see a
lone Fox Sparrow amongst the sea of White-throateds.=20

=20

 Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Dec 29, 2012 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

36 species

=20

Ring-necked Duck  28

Greater Scaup  2

Lesser Scaup  3

Pied-billed Grebe  6

Black Vulture  2

Turkey Vulture  3

Sharp-shinned Hawk  1

Red-tailed Hawk  1

American Woodcock  1

Greater Roadrunner  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  2

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  2

Northern Flicker  1

Eastern Phoebe  1

Blue Jay  2

American Crow  10

Carolina Chickadee  2

Tufted Titmouse  1

Brown-headed Nuthatch  2

Brown Creeper  2

House Wren  1

Carolina Wren  1

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  2

Northern Mockingbird  1

Brown Thrasher  1

Pine Warbler  1

Yellow-rumped Warbler  8

Eastern Towhee  3

Chipping Sparrow  100

Field Sparrow  1

Fox Sparrow  1

Song Sparrow  5

White-throated Sparrow  50

Dark-eyed Junco  50

Northern Cardinal  5

Red-winged Blackbird  10

=20

=20

Happy New Year List,

=20

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

=20

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

=20

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

=20

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

=20

=20

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >