[texbirds] Tyler State Park 11-14-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:08:39 -0600

Howdy All!

=20

Finally!!!  I was able to get a nemesis bird that has been bothering
since I started working here, the White-crowned Sparrow!  I have had
birders say that they have seen it here, but I never could find it,
until today that is. =20

=20

The area by the south side day-use turn off down the firebreaks.  The
firebreak that leads to the east was full of sparrows.  They were mostly
White-throated Sparrows, but there were also Song, Lincoln's, Field,
Vesper, Chipping, Dark-eyed Junco, Eastern Towhee, and Spotted Towhee.
That is still the best area to find Brown-headed Nuthatch. =20

=20

The dam also had several sparrows in the thickets.  Lincoln's, Song,
Eastern Towhee, and a possible Spotted Towhee.  Several flocks of
Goldfinches and Siskins are all around the park as are the Red-breasted
Nuthatches. =20

=20

The lake continues bring surprises.  The Ruddy Ducks are still around
and today we had a Greater Scaup and two Lesser Scaup.=20

=20

We are not having birding programs at the park this weekend, but join us
next week November 23, the day after Thanksgiving, for our 5th annual
"Walk off the Bird" bird walk.  It is our Big Day attempt.  We will
start birding at 8am and bird until we run out of birds.  Come on out
for the whole thing or just part of it.  What better way to stay away
from the crowds around the shopping centers.

=20

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Nov 12, 2012 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

54 species

=20

Mallard  8

Greater Scaup  1

Lesser Scaup  2

Ruddy Duck  15

Pied-billed Grebe  12

Great Blue Heron  1

Great Egret  1

Black Vulture  17

Turkey Vulture  30

Red-tailed Hawk  1

American Coot  12

Killdeer  2

Mourning Dove  20

Belted Kingfisher  2

Red-bellied Woodpecker  2

Downy Woodpecker  5

Northern Flicker  2

Pileated Woodpecker  1

Eastern Phoebe  3

Blue Jay  3

American Crow  15

Carolina Chickadee  5

Tufted Titmouse  2

Red-breasted Nuthatch  6

White-breasted Nuthatch  2

Brown-headed Nuthatch  5

Brown Creeper  4

House Wren  2

Carolina Wren  4

Golden-crowned Kinglet  9

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  6

Eastern Bluebird  15

Hermit Thrush  2

American Robin  50

Northern Mockingbird  1

Brown Thrasher  3

Orange-crowned Warbler  3

Pine Warbler  5

Yellow-rumped Warbler  10

Spotted Towhee  1

Eastern Towhee  4

Chipping Sparrow  20

Field Sparrow  2

Vesper Sparrow  1

Song Sparrow  7

Lincoln's Sparrow  4

White-throated Sparrow  50

White-crowned Sparrow  1

Dark-eyed Junco  20

Northern Cardinal  8

Red-winged Blackbird  6

House Finch  2

Pine Siskin  4

American Goldfinch  30

=20

=20

Good birding,

=20

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

=20

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

=20

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>=20

=20

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

=20

=20

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >