[texbirds] Tyler State Park 10-3-12

  • From: "Boyd Sanders" <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 16:31:57 -0500

Howdy All!

Monthly reports kept me in the office most of the day.  I did get to see
a few birds while posting my weekend ranger programs.  On the east side
of the park near the Dogwood camping loop, I saw and heard a pair of
Great Horned Owls.  They flushed from a tree near the property line and
then both of them started calling.  This is the second time in the last
couple of weeks that we've heard Great Horned Owls calling in the day.
The other good sighting was the FOF Red-breasted Nuthatch.  I heard this
one calling near our maintenance area and got to see it high up in a
pine tree.

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Oct 3, 2012 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

25 species

Pied-billed Grebe  6

Great Egret  1

Snowy Egret  1

Black Vulture  7

Turkey Vulture  2

Mourning Dove  4

Great Horned Owl  2

Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1

Red-headed Woodpecker  1

Downy Woodpecker  1

Northern Flicker  2

Pileated Woodpecker  1

Eastern Phoebe  1

Blue Jay  7

American Crow  2

Carolina Chickadee  4

Tufted Titmouse  1

Red-breasted Nuthatch  1

White-breasted Nuthatch  2

Brown-headed Nuthatch  8

Carolina Wren  2

Northern Mockingbird  1

Brown Thrasher  1

Pine Warbler  4

Northern Cardinal  2

Good Birding,

Boyd A. Sanders BBA, CIG

Interpreter/Exhibit Tech

Tyler State Park

789 Park Rd. 16

Tyler, TX 75706

(903)597-5338

boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

(When All Else Fails, Play Dead- Red Green)

Learn how you can help Texas State Parks: <http://bit.ly/sVdilb
<http://bit.ly/sVdilb> >

PNG image