[texbirds] Tyler SP 12-4-2014

  • From: Boyd Sanders <Boyd.Sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 22:49:01 +0000

Howdy All!
These cool, foggy mornings have the birds moving. Huge flocks of robins are
moving through the forest looking for beautyberry and sweetgum to feast on. So
many of them, you can hear them across the park. We've started getting a few
ducks on the lake. The Beaver Pond is busy with Swamp Sparrow, Lincoln's and
Song Sparrow. It is also a good area to pick up several woodpecker species and
Purple Finch. We've had an Osprey hanging around the past couple of days.  It
must have read the news about us releasing 2,000 trout. We finally got in our
first Red-breasted Nuthatch of the year.

Here's the list:

Tyler SP (PPW-E 065), Smith, US-TX

Dec 4, 2014 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM

Protocol: Traveling

3.0 mile(s)

54 species (+1 other taxa)

American Wigeon  1

Mallard  6

Mallard (Domestic type)  4

Northern Shoveler  3

Ring-necked Duck  8

Pied-billed Grebe  8

Black Vulture  10

Turkey Vulture  18

Osprey  1

Red-shouldered Hawk  1

Mourning Dove  1

Belted Kingfisher  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  2

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  5

Downy Woodpecker  3

Hairy Woodpecker  2

Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  6

Pileated Woodpecker  3

Eastern Phoebe  3

Blue Jay  10

American Crow  6

Carolina Chickadee  5

Tufted Titmouse  9

Red-breasted Nuthatch  1

White-breasted Nuthatch  4

Brown-headed Nuthatch  2

Brown Creeper  6

House Wren  2

Winter Wren  1

Carolina Wren  6

Golden-crowned Kinglet  2

Ruby-crowned Kinglet  5

Eastern Bluebird  10

Hermit Thrush  8

American Robin  1000

Brown Thrasher  1

Northern Mockingbird  3

Cedar Waxwing  10

Pine Warbler  15

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  30

Spotted Towhee  1

Eastern Towhee  5

Chipping Sparrow  50

Field Sparrow  3

Fox Sparrow  1

Song Sparrow  5

Lincoln's Sparrow  1

Swamp Sparrow  1

White-throated Sparrow  50

Dark-eyed Junco  20

Northern Cardinal  8

Red-winged Blackbird  200

Purple Finch  3

Pine Siskin  5

American Goldfinch  20

Good birding,

Boyd A. Sanders, BBA, CIG
Master Interpreter/Exhibits Coordinator
Tyler State Park
(903)597-5338
Boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Boyd.sanders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead)."- Red Green

[tpwd_lbo_logo]<http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/>