[texbirds] Tuesday pictures, shorebirds and drying puddles

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 17:12:09 -0500

I spent a good bit of time at a drying puddle watching a small group of
birds catch small fish and tadpoles from the last water in a ditch. much of
the time, the birds were too close for pictures but they all were eating
the same things.
A solitary sandpiper was the most steadfast feeder.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557855

That big eye shows up even from the rear
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557853

A pair of king rails was feeding at least 3 chicks. They would catch a
tadpole and take it back to the edge of the vegetation, whack it a couple
of times and a youngster would come out for breakfast
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557730

Hard to get pictures of bigger birds when they are close
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557731

One chick was larger than the others and came out a little further
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557732

A lesser yellowlegs flushed out each time a car passed but would come back
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557729

A green heron arrived and stayed through the traffic
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557728

A male Wilson's phalarope was wandering out where the ruff had been
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557726

And did a pose with a reflection. A very active bird that was feeding on
some sort of hatching gnats. Needs a lot of them to make a meal. A group of
males and females was further back feeding with 2 teal in the more normal
phalarope manner
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557725

the stilt sandpipers were the noisiest
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557721

A breeding plumage golden plover was the first I have seen in a long time
and was feeding on black worms in the grass
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557719

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557718

The ruddy turnstone migration is peaking with every fish carcass or
sandwich attended by breeding plumage birds
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557713

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557710

Even dried up pieces were worth pecking
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557707

Spent some time with the sanderlings on the texas city dike trying to find
the reddest bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557671

None of this years birds makes it to the top of the list
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557669

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557667

A black-bellied plover feeding on black worms in the short grass at the end
of the dike looked very brownish in the afternoon glare and required a bit
to make sure it was not a golden plover. I always end up taking pictures of
birds like this before they spread a tail or wing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557665

3 American oystercatchers on the dike were my first in several trips. This
bird was unbanded so there are still unmarked birds on the UTC
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557663

However if you give a bird a little bling it becomes very impolite like a
movie star
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557658

But its friend or mate was more polite
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/155557660

Great day out even though most spots had zero land bird migrants. The 10
inch shortfall of rain since the drought ended really understates how dry
it is out there. Places that had water last summer when the hawk watch
started are already dry. But I have had .0001 inches or so on my deck today
and there was a wet spot for a while.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston