[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 15:34:16 -0500

We tallied 56 species today.  We saw a Yellow-crowned Night-heron at Taylor
pond and a lot of young Pied-billed Grebes and some adults in Mineral marsh.
We had a single Baird's Sandpiper in Steedman marsh.  The vegetation in the
marshes continues to grow at a fast rate making it more difficult to see birds
like the Gallinules and ducks.  The female Redhead is still hanging around.
There is almost no habitat at this time for shorebirds.
Jack Chiles, Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.