[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 18:12:09 -0600

When we arrived at the refuge this morning we were once again greeted by closed
road signs on Wildlife Dr. This has become an all too often occurrence as a
result of all the heavy rains this year. I keep records of the rainfall on the
CoCoRahs network and my rainfall total year to date is 82.29" surpassing the
previous high yearly rainfall by a big margin. Since we couldn't go down
Wildlife Dr. we opted to go to Meadow Pond via the county roads south of the
refuge. It was partly cloudy with quite a bit of sunshine and a light breeze.
The birds were very active. We finished the day with 83 species. Going to
Meadow Pond was a good decision because we found 4 Rusty Blackbirds. This was
a year bird for me bringing my county year total to 229 species. I feel that I
have been lucky to get that many species since we had so much high water. I
shoot for a total of at least 230 birds in the county each year and I will
probably have to be lucky to get one more specie before yearend. We also got
good up close looks at a Winter Wren. There was a Spotted Towhee near the
entrance to Meadow Pond Rd.
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist?subID=S26512960
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at