[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2015 17:11:32 -0500

Wildlife Drive is now partially open giving us access to the mudflats and we
had a fantastic morning of birding. We saw more than 600 Herons and Egrets and
that is without a single Cattle Egret. Steedman Marsh was teeming with birds
and we were able to locate a Snowy Plover. There and in Moist Soil Unit #7 we
saw 4 White Ibis, 27 Least Terns, 3 Black Terns and 36 Forster's Terns along
with lots of sandpipers. At the low water crossing on Bennett Rd. we saw 2
Wood Storks. In Meyer's Branch we saw 3 Tricolored Herons and a White-faced
Ibis. We finished the day with 55 species and were low in species of passerines
because we spent so much time looking at shorebirds.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR