[texbirds] Tuesday morning birding, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 16:35:59 -0500

On a morning that started out calm and pleasant turning into light rain with a
chilling southeast wind we saw 70 bird species. The Red-headed Woodpeckers have
returned to Dead Woman Pond. We also saw a White-breasted Nuthatch there and
heard a Summer Tanager singing. On the road to Meadow Pond we stopped to look
at a FOS Indigo Bunting. While viewing the Indigo we were treated to great
looks at a Prothonotary Warbler sticking its head out of a nest box very close
to where we were standing. We had a FOS Western Kingbird and good looks at a
Grasshopper Sparrow just before you get to the Southwest end of Short Road.
There was a pair of Black-chinned Hummingbirds at the feeder in front of
headquarters. There were 4 Wilson's Phalaropes in the pond by the culverts on
Wildlife Dr. Across from MSU# 7. We also saw a tree full of Yellow-headed
Blackbirds near there.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/emailsubID=S22984895
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR.