[texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 17:43:53 -0500

We found 69 species of birds on a day with many areas of the refuge flooded and
the lake at 643 ft. above sea level. It is currently 3 ft. over the top of the
spillway and still rising. When you look at the lake about all you see is the
tops of a few of the taller oil well pump jacks. We had to detour a lot and
walk more than usual. One nice sight was 34 Black Terns flying around near
where the water has topped the road on Terry Lane. We heard Bell's Vireos
singing in two different locations. We were treated to 5 Mississippi Kites in a
tree on Wright Rd. It was a nice morning, just too much water.
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/emailsubID=S23652133
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer Hagerman NWR