[texbirds] Tuesday Birdwalk @ Edinburg Scenic Wetlands, Hidalgo Co.

  • From: Javier Gonzalez <javsterkayak7@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 12:59:00 -0500

Hello Texbirders,
We had our weekly Tuesday Birdwalk this morning and we ended up with a
pretty good list.
We started the morning at the North Pond like usual and our first birds
were some FOS Terns flying over the pond, one was a Forster's and the other
was a Gull-billed. We also saw the usual assortment of waders and ducks
there and we were able hear some Tropical Kingbirds and Kiskadees calling
and singing from within the trees around the pond. We didn't see the usual
Green Kingfishers this morning, but as we were looking for them on the
banks of the canal that is just west of the park headquarters we flushed an
American Bittern out of some tall grass. We first saw this bird flying over
the park last Saturday and we hoped that it would stick around. American
Bittern has been sort of a rare bird in the park in recent years.
Highlights on the main grounds were; a male Black-chinned hummingbird
perched at the tip of a tall Adelia giving everyone some good clear views,
and a White-tipped Dove on her nest that she built on a Sabal Palm frond.

We then went across the street to South Pond where we encountered singing
Bewick's Wrens and Curve-billed Thrashers along the Mesquites and Prickly
Pear Cacti that line the pond. Looking out onto the pond's shore line we
spotted a Spotted Sandpiper with fresh spots!!

New birds are being seen every week and it's not long before things get
really hopping around here!

Birdwalks happening every Tuesday morning starting at 8:30am. You never
know what we'll come across next!!

Full Bird list below:

Edinburg Scenic Wetlands WBC (LTC 061), Hidalgo, US-TX
Apr 1, 2014 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Protocol: Area
40.0 ac
Comments:     Tuesday Birdwalk
52 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  1
Mallard (Mexican)  2
Mottled Duck  1
Blue-winged Teal  30
Northern Shoveler  6
Lesser Scaup  4
Plain Chachalaca  4
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Neotropic Cormorant  10
Double-crested Cormorant  4
American White Pelican  1
American Bittern  1     Bird Flushed out of the tall grass by the canal
area.
Great Blue Heron  1
Snowy Egret  2
Little Blue Heron  1