[texbirds] Trumpeter Swan in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 07:45:53 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
Kristen Linner relocated our wandering Trumpeter Swan at Whisperwood Pond
yesterday.  The bird was subsequently observed and photographed by Steve
Collins in the afternoon.  The bird was then observed and photographed by
Cameron Carver later in the afternoon.  I watched it for about a half hour
during the prevening and was joined by Ross Rickett.  This bird is still very
darkly plumaged in the head and neck and retains considerable dark plumage in
the feathering of the body.  It has a large bill with and the slope of the
upper bill is straight in profile.  The pattern of black feathers on the
forehead - as observed when facing the bird head on - forms a deep V not a
shallow U.

Be advised: this is a private pond.  Walking on the grass is prohibited and
even walking on the sidewalk might get you in trouble.  If the bird remains at
this site, it can easily be observed from the roadway and the road is wide
enough to park along the curb.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock