[texbirds] Re: Tropical Mockingbird origins

  • From: Eric Carpenter <ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scottratkinson@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:52:11 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> If memory serves, the TRBC accepted a Black Catbird
> for the state list long ago. This species is also sedentary
> in habits and occupies a similar geographic range
> to that of the Tropical Mockingbird.  Can anyone on the
> TRBC presently shed light on the processing of this old
> historic record, I think this was a specimen entry?

The June 1892 Black Catbird record/specimen is discussed in the TBRC
Annual Report for 1990:

   http://www.texasbirds.org/tbrc/AR1990.htm

The ABA Committee's take on this record can be found in their 1992
Checklist report:

   http://www.aba.org/checklist/ccr1992.pdf

As is mentioned, the published source of this record comes from
Oberholser's Bird Life of Texas.  A photo of this specimen can be
found at:

      http://www.texasbirds.org/tbrc/blca.htm

-- Eric

Eric Carpenter