[texbirds] Re: Tropical Mockingbird and a Catbird

  • From: steve mayes <sgmayes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mpease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, TEXBirds posts <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:54:10 +0000

Mike & TexBirders, To the best of my knowledge, no one has heard the Tropical
Mockingbird sing, I certainly have not.  It is a female bird so maybe that's
not too surprising.  Do female Northern Mockingbirds sing? Steve MayesPort
Arthur, TX
 Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 05:42:09 -0700
From: mpease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [texbirds] Tropical Mockingbird and a Catbird

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Texbird folk,

My family had a chance to see/photgraph a Gray Catbird in Port Arthur yesterday
morning.  There could have been 2 of them-it disappeared and then showed back
up from a different direction pretty quickly.

The Tropical Mockingbird was right where everybody said it would be.  I
wouldn't even post, but I haven't seen a report of it feeding babies.  I first
saw a Northern going to a nest, about 15 feet up, in a tree to the right of the
entrance.  It is right next to the first side trail to the right.  The Tropical
showed up shortly after.  Both birds were carrying insects to the nest, and I
once heard babies when they approached the nest.  The sounds could have been
from the Orchard Oriole nest that is close by, but I don't think so.  I
couldn't see the babies in the nest, so have no idea how many, how old, or if
they might be Cowbirds even.

During the time we watched, the Northern seemed more productive in it's efforts
to bring food to the nest.  It made about 3 times more trips to the nest while
we were here.

Neither adult bird was singing.  I am curious if anybody has heard the Tropical
singing, and if so, does it sing songs from the Yucatan?

Mike Pease
McKinney, Collin County

THE WEB'S SOURCE FOR FIRE SERVICE TRAINING
Drill Downloads, Live Events, Article Features & More
http://www.firehouse.com/training/

GET THE BEST FIREFIGHTING CONTENT & FEATURES
Join Firehouse.com's MembersZone Today
http://cms.firehouse.com/launch/