[texbirds] Tropical Kingbird in Port O'Connor!...NCR!!

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 14:16:55 -0500

 After stopping at Speedy Stop for a pc. of Hunt's Brothers Pizza and beer, I drove around old town looking for migrants in the heat of the day out of boredom more than anything...  Saw a kingbird at Dell the Barber's old shop at 3rd and Adams right above the huge salt cedar on the phone line...Just took it to be just another Couch's but then it vocalized and Holy Mole' it rang out as a TK several times,  I was in my truck almost directly under it when it flew back over my head where I could not see where it went.    So I circled the block and heard it again in the Chinese Tallows behind the dead Monkey Puzzle tree at Madden's Lounge on 3rd and old Main....I got out of the truck and heard it twice more but could not see it in the guy's yard, then nothing tho I waited 20+ min.s .  It could have been in there silent or may have flown out the backside from where I was, ....If your in POC it is well worth looking for, I will be out later today and tomorrow to try to document this New County Record.  The odd thing is that when I was down here 2-3 wks. ago I could have sworn I heard a distant TK then as well but blew it off  as I was not sure, but it was not far from this area south of Adams tho toward Olive & 8th or so maybe then...
  Also Dell's Salt Cedar and yard was birdy this morning (which is why I returned)   The big salt cedar held several migrants.  A small flock of EKs was in the old longhorn pasture north Maple and west of 8th

There is a flock of Least Terns ~20 on Boggy Bayou getting ready to head out...The tide is high...It is very quiet in town today, school starts tomorrow (Yes!) here and elsewhere so hardly anyone in town and after Labor Day it will be back to the way it should be ......almost ....Between the time school lets out in the Spring until it starts back up in fall POC is not the best place for birding.:-)

--
Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist