[texbirds] Trop. Mocker and GF Woodpecker still at Sabine Woods

  • From: "Ken Hartman" <kahartman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 17:44:16 -0500

John Berner and I visited Sabine Woods today to try to get the Tropical
Mocker for me, and get him to 200 in the county.  We ran into Steve Mayes
and John Haynes while we were there, which helped us achieve both goals.
The Tropical Mockingbird was not hanging out in its previous haunts, but was
about 50 yards to the left of the main entrance along the fenceline.
Another local birder mentioned it had been seen there recently.  The female
Golden-fronted Woodpecker was also present, but was not hanging around the
nest hole back by the drip.  Instead, it was seen in a large dead tree
roughly halfway between the entrance and the drip.  There are juvenile
Melanerpes woodpeckers around - but no coloration as yet to distinguish
their parentage.

Ken Hartman

Houston, TX