[texbirds] Trans-Pecos and BBNP missive (by definition long)

  • From: Dennis Shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 11:35:31 -0500

Howdy Texbirders
So many great birds around the great State. Out in the Trans-Pecos
from 4/28 to 5/6
A "few" comments:
Zone-tailed Hawk at Ft. Lancaster, but no Gray Vireo.
Lake Balmorhea had a couple of thousand swallows. Mostly Tree but the
largest concentration of Bank Swallows I've seen.
Western, Clark's and Eared Grebe's present. Boy Scout Canyon was good.
Gray Flycatcher present. Very cold with frost over night at DMSP. Five
Montezuma Quail. At the DMSP feeder, a female Cassin's Finch made a
brief appearance. Woods Rest Stop in Davis Mtns. had Black-chinned
Sparrows, and Violet-green Swallows at their nest hole. Black Hawks
were at the picnic area south of Ft. Davis and another at the Miter
Peak Camp, off Hiway 118.
Christmas Mountain Oasis was excellent, as usual. Lucifer Hummingbird,
great looks at a roosting male Elf Owl. Other neat birds. Special
thanks to Carolyn Ohl for her west Texas hospitality.
On Friday, Jenni and I headed for BBNP and got our back country
permit. We were surprised to see some famous birders preparing for a
Colima census. In fact, we roomed next to a couple of really famous
birders. What fun.
On Saturday morning, Jenni and I headed up the Pinnacles Trail. We had
great views of the dark morph Short-tailed Hawk kiting above us
(photo). We heard later that there is a light morph individual
present. We again saw the Short-tailed and also spotted a Zone-tailed
Hawk after we had climbed higher on the trail. Below the final
switchbacks of the Pinnacles Trail, we located Colima Warbler and
Painted Redstart. For those who don't want to trek into Boot Canyon
this is the place for these species and other goodies. With Jenni's
help I got up the switchbacks. I took an O2 break and we headed into
Boot Canyon.
The night chorus of Mexican Whip-poor-wills was deafening. Jen headed
down the next morning and Fred Collins headed up. I had some fabulous
morning birding with great views of all the tanagers present (Western,
the Hybrid, and what appeared to be a pure Flame-colored...took some
photos which I will share). Of note: Jeff Sexton and Clayton Leopold
were up there and got good photos of the tanagers. I had long and
excellent views of Colima Warbler, Blue-throated and Broad-tailed
Hummers, and other species. Early in the morning, I heard a
Dusky-capped Flycatcher calling on the east side of the canyon. Later
in the morning, I got a brief look at it near the picnic table as it
flew back to the east side of the canyon. Just prior to that Chuck
Sexton told me about the Northern Pygmy Owl, in Pine Canyon.
Fred arrived in the afternoon. We had evening clouds and thunder and
some rain drops. The Whips were a bit quieter Sunday night and a
Western Screech-Owl called for a while. No Flammulated (flame-shaped
markings) Owl. We birded the morning with tanagers chasing each other
and two male Painted Redstarts fighting mere feet away from us.
At 11:00 am I started down with observations of a few birds. Of
interest was a very vocal Mexican Whip-poor-will at the lower portion
of the switchbacks. Interesting that he was calling
mid-afternoon...oh, those hormones.
Fred and I headed to the Christmas Mountain Oasis and had great looks
at Elf Owl, Lesser Nighthawk, and that night, I heard three Poorwills
calling from the surrounding hills. We spent the morning with Carolyn
Ohl (such a gracious host) and got wonderful views of Lucifer
Hummingbird, a surprise female MacGillvray's Warbler, a roosting male
Elf Owl, female Lazuli Bunting, Varied Bunting, and so many more
species. CMO is unique with a rich avifauna, both migrant and
resident.
By afternoon, Fred and I were at Pine Canyon. Fred headed for the
Pygmy Owl and I (being unable to make another climb) headed to Rio
Grande Village. I found Brown-crested Flycatcher which was a new year
bird. But, the best was watching the pair of Black Hawks spending
about fifteen minutes "playing" with each other above the massive
Cottonwoods at the Daniel Ranch area. Absolutely outstanding. After
the Black Hawks left, the pair of Gray Hawks took off from the
Cottonwoods for a brief aerial ballet. It was nice to find
Olive-sided Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, and other species. I had
the whole area to myself.
I then headed back up to Pine Canyon and picked up Fred.
We then headed to Cottonwood Campground arriving at about 10 pm. We
were serenaded by numerous Lesser Nighthawks (they sounded like a
chorus of toads calling), Western Screech, Elf, and Great Horned Owls.
In the morning, we searched the area for our target species...Lucy's
Warbler with no luck. By about 10:45 am, after observing many neat
birds, we decided we had to leave for Houston, but would make one last
try for the Lucy's. Cha-ching! We found a singing male at the
Amphitheater and had great views.
On the way home, we birded the Ft. Lancaster area but missed both Gray
Vireo and Zone-tailed Hawk.
My last trip up to Boot Spring will always be the best. Best friends
and best birds. I could not have made it without Jenni and Fred
helping me.
Dennis
Back in West Houston
Harris County