[texbirds] Townsend's Solitaire(s) at South Llano River SP

  • From: "Rhandy Helton" <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:07:50 -0500

The Townsend's Solitaire has been kind of a nemesis bird for me in the Texas
Hill Country, but today I had 2 individuals in the same large cedar on the Fawn
Trail at South Llano River State Park in Junction (Kimble Co.). Photo's were
taken (not by me) but the birds were in the shade most of the time so the
photo's may not be the greatest. The group I was leading on a Golden-cheeked
Warbler search was also successful with that species as we had great views of
two different individuals between Deer Blinds #7 and 8. One Hutton's Vireo was
also heard but we didn't pursue off of the trail. Last week I had a Hutton's V
and a Ruby-crowned Kinglet in the same tree for a nice side-by-side comparison
of these two species that very much resemble each other.
Rhandy J. Helton
Junction, Tx.