[texbirds] Today's field trip

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 22:42:02 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Texbirds,

Just got home from a long field trip.  Took my mom out for the day to give
her a change of scenery.  First stop was Lometa Reservoir where it was
pretty quiet, except for several singing Dickcissels (always a treat!) and a
few Coots.

Next stop was the Lake Waco Wetlands.  I found out about it on the TPWD
Great Texas Wildlife Trails map, the Chisholm Trail Loop, #28.  I was
excited about taking my mom there because she has trouble walking very far
these days and the write up said they have an ADA trail.  I was hoping it
was suitable for her wheelchair.  When we got there we found the place
closed, with a locked gate.  I will have to find out the story about them
being closed.  Would like to try again sometime, because it looks like a fun
place, especially for someone with limitations, like my mom.

After hitting a fantastic Chinese buffet in Waco we boogied south through
rainstorms to try and catch the Purple Martin show at the Highland Mall.  We
were pushing it time-wise, didn't get there until about 8:50.  I was
surprised so many birds were still in the air, zeroing in on their roost
trees.  Numbers were humongous considering it is only July 7!  Thousands
upon thousands filled the sky, even though many were already in the trees.

Has anyone good at estimating bird numbers been there lately?  There were so
many I have to wonder if they are peaking early?  I plan on going back soon.
Next time I will get there earlier, say 8:15-8:30, to get the full show.
The PUMA Vortex was a fantastic finale to our field trip!  My mom was
pretty thrilled, even though she was pooped from our long day.

Lori Markoff
Austin