[texbirds] Todays Gull Trip by Boat 2/26/15

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "DHanson139@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:50:23 -0500

Mike Austin and I took my boat out of Roseland Park in Baytown today and
headed to the mouth of Cedar Bayou and Cedar Point trying to get out there
before the winds got up. When we got to the sand/shell bar off Cedar Point we
 found the tide down enough to get out and walk around. We were able to
find  Lesser Black-backed Gulls (2), Thayer's Gulls(2 first winter) and a First
winter  or possibly second winter Great Black-backed Gull, along with what
we think is a  first winter California Gull. I have not great pictures of
all but the Lesser  Black-backed Gulls. I would like some of you gull
connoisseurs to look at the  suspected California first winter and either
confirm or
say no for us. Bird was  brown and had a long slender pink bill with a
black tip and was lighter on the  throat. You will notice in that picture there
is the first or second winter  Great Black-backed gull behind and just to
the right.

We essentially found nothing of great interest in Cedar Bayou or on the
dump site today but it was not for trying. Everything we found today was in
Chambers Co.

http://smu.gs/1MWjzBR

David  Hanson
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area
TOS Member
Texas Master  Naturalist
FeatherFest 2015 Birding Program  Leader
dhanson139@xxxxxxx