[texbirds] Today's Gull Efforts in Lubbock

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:10:59 -0800 (PST)

Greetings All:
Phillip Kite and I made a concerted effort to located gull locations in Lubbock
today.  We focused our efforts on the late morning/early afternoon period
between 10:00 and 1:00, after the early morning movement of gulls in the area
and before the late afternoon movement towards favored loafing/roosting sites
in order to avoid double counting birds.

The only bird seen (out of roughly 700 gulls) that was not a Ring-billed Gull
was a first winter Herring Gull at Lake Ridge Golf Course.

The list provides parks and numbers of Ring-billed Gulls seen at each park in
the order of visitation.

Anthony Hewetson
Dupree Park - 38
Leroy Elmore Park - 43
Stevens Park - 0
Jennings Park - 0
Lake Ridge Golf Course - 156
Huneke Park - 0
Andrews Park - 15
Miller Park - 22
Maxey Park - 64
Higginbotham Park - 27
Whisperwood Pond - o

Phillip Kite
Earl Crow Park - 40
McCullough Park - 15
Guy Park - 25
Leftwich Park - 41
Casey Park - 15
Ribble Park - 16
Lake Six - 6
Mae Simmons Park - 1
MacKenzie Park - 100
Lake Two - 67
Buddy Holly Park - 10

Our feeling is that there has been an eastern or southeastern movement of gulls
during the last two days.  It may well be that things are quite interesting at
Buffalo Springs Lake/Ransom Lake.  It may well be that a lot of birds are on
their way to the Gulf Coast:)  Hopefully today's efforts will give local
birders an idea about where to look for oddities over the next few weeks.
There are worse ways to spend a vacation day.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock