[texbirds] Today at Pollywog...

  • From: Dane Ferrell <daneferrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: this is new Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:57:58 -0400

In under 2 hours today at Pollywog Ponds, I observed 5 species of Warblers:
Black-and-white, Yellow-throated, Orange-crowned, Common Yellowthroat, and
Yellow-rumped. Also White-throated Sparrow, Blue-headed Vireo. Local action
included Great Kiskadee, Couch's Kingbird, and Long-billed Thrasher.
Other highlights: Green and Belted Kingfishers. Bufflehead, Ring-necked Duck,
and Redhead were on the Ponds. A brown Pelican getting up with Vultures was a
nice treat - as well as a flight of 30+  American White Pelicans, and 11 White
Ibis.
Also present: Yellow-crowned Night-Herons, Purple Martins, and Pied-billed
Grebes.
Raptors were represented by Red-tailed Hawk, Crested Caracara, and Northern
Harrier. However, Raptor highlight was 7 Swainson's Hawks lifting off just
North of Pollywog - with a White-tailed Hawk giving a few of the Swainson's
Hawks, a "friendly" South Texas sendoff.
Speaking of Raptors; a quick shout out to our friend and fellow Hawkwatcher,
Peter Collins. Peter is a regular spotter/visitor to the Corpus Christi
Hawkwatch. Over the last few years, Peter has been running a Spring Hawkwatch
in Tubac, Arizona. This watch is geared primarily to Common Blackhawks and
Zone-tailed Hawks. Recently, my wife Libby, our friend Denise and I, spent
roughly 4.5 days watching Hawks with Peter and Friends in Tubac. Unofficial
numbers included better than 150 migrating Common Blackhawks, and about 20
migrating Zone-tailed Hawks. "Local" Golden Eagles and Gray Hawks add to the
fun. For more info on this Watch - email me directly, please.
Keep it up Count Master!
P.S. Scissor-tailed Flycatcher and pristine Lark Sparrow at Hazel Bazemore
today.
Dane FerrellCorpus Christi, TexasTubac, Arizona(visitor)