[texbirds] Tis the season!

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 15:43:37 -0500

Just a friendly reminder to everyone - check your windows, check your
grilles, check nearby power lines and check roads where it is
reasonably safe to pull over.

There's some excellent migratory dead stuff just waiting to go to Dr.
Arnold out there... that said, please go through legal routes to make
sure the birds get picked up and preserved!

In the last week we've ended up with two Soras and a Marsh Wren - all
from power lines (what on earth is going on there!?) which is roughly
2 birds more than I'd ever picked up from incidental power line finds
previously. Along the coast and near inland water I'd seen a LOT of
waterfowl tangled ON the lines, but these little ones were a bit
surprising. Seems I found a county with no industrial wind turbines
and very little plate glass (my two biggest sources of freezer
overcrowding), but now the power lines are starting to compete with
vehicles and 'pets' - it'd be hard to find a region with no roads or
power lines, though I suppose I'm already as close as it gets!

Happy trails,
-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain