[texbirds] Tiocano Lake & La Feria (longish)

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "MiriamEagl@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2014 17:31:48 -0400 (EDT)

Hi, all!

He had a nice, small group for the Birder Patrol trip today, consisting of
MJ, Pat, Norma, Cheryle, Sue, Donna, Bert, and myself.  After meeting at
the Whataburger (or "Hamburger" according to Sue's IPhone spell-checker ;-))
we  all tootled up to Tiocano Lake, where we dipped on John's King Rail but
we had  lots of other nice birds, including Roseate Spoonbills, Black Terns,
White Ibis,  both flavors of Whistling Ducks, along with almost all the
expected  herons.  Norma's car had a Yellow-billed Cuckoo in a bush next to the
road,  and eventually all of us heard a Common Nighthawk overhead.  We also
had  nice looks at Purple Martins and Bank Swallows, and further up the
road Bert  spotted a couple of Long-billed Curlews, as well as a pretty
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher.

Donna wanted to take us to an area near her house that had nesting Gray
Hawks, and while we didn't see any from her property, most of us DID see one
soaring over the small suburban road!  (There was a guy mowing his lawn
right next to us who started when I slammed on the brakes, all four doors flew
open, and Pat jumped out screaming "GRAY HAWK!!" to the other car--she
figured  the door guy probably thought he was about to be kidnapped! :-))
Donna
 took us to a canal next to a grove of palm trees where we had Orchard
Orioles,  Lesser Goldfinches, a Ladder-backed Woodpecker, a Caracara, and a
fly-away  Solitary Sandpiper.  We walked through a "flock" of hovering
dragonflies  that was a mix of Red Saddlebags and Hyacinth Gliders, and Pat
spotted a
 Southern Skipperling along the path.  A few people got to see a titmouse
come in to Donna's feeders at her house, but I heard her Hooded Oriole and
Buff-bellied Hummers at least, along with some Green Parakeets in the
distance!

From there we went to Bass Lake RV Park and got special permission to go in
 and bird; some of the girls had this spot as part of their territory for
the  Harlingen CBC, and it proved to be quite productive:  we had great views
of  Semipalmated, Least, and Stilt Sandpipers, along with Lesser
Yellowlegs,  Black-necked Stilts, and a single Wilson's Phalarope.  Ruddy Ducks
were
further out in the water, and some young whistling ducks had us stumped
until  Bert figured them out for us! :-)  A little kitten came to visit us as
well...

It was getting late and I wanted to hit the La Feria Nature Park, so over
we went; Norma took a detour down a side road where we could check out this
field that was full mostly of Killdeer, Starlings, grackles, Redwings, and
Bronzed Cowbirds (got to see one do "The Helicopter"), plus a cavorting
goat  kid!  At the gazebo at the park, right away Bert spotted a Least Bittern
hiding in the reeds!  She finally took off across the water with a grackle
hot on her tail (someone said he actually made contact), and that bugger
seemed  to be hunting for her in the reeds the whole time we were there!  A
Tropical Kingbird went after a juvenile White-tailed Kite while big brother
came  to the rescue!  Some Least Terns were batting around, but there were
some  "white things" in a hidden pond, and Sue confirmed that you could cut
over and  get a view of it, so some of us did so, and were rewarded not only
with a mob of  "Gregs and Snegs" and croaking cormorants, but a Wood Stork to
boot!  That  brought Pat and MJ over with the scope, but the thing had
flown by the time they  rounded the corner...

Called it a day after that with 64 species for the morning.   Pictures are
posted here:

http://miriameaglemon.com/photo_gallery/2014%20Field%20Trips/July/La%20Feria
%20Area.html

Bird List:

  Black-bellied  Whistling-Duck          Dendrocygna  autumnalis
Fulvous  Whistling-Duck                 Dendrocygna bicolor
Ruddy  Duck                             Oxyura jamaicensis
Northern  Bobwhite                      Colinus virginianus
Wood  Stork                             Mycteria americana
Neotropic  Cormorant                    Phalacrocorax brasilianus
Least  Bittern                          Ixobrychus exilis
Great Blue  Heron                       Ardea herodias
Great  Egret                            Ardea alba
Snowy  Egret                            Egretta thula
Tricolored  Heron                       Egretta tricolor
Green  Heron                            Butorides virescens
Black-crowned  Night-Heron              Nycticorax nycticorax
Yellow-crowned  Night-Heron             Nyctanassa violacea
White  Ibis                             Eudocimus albus
Roseate  Spoonbill                      Platalea ajaja
White-tailed  Kite                      Elanus leucurus
Gray  Hawk                              Buteo plagiatus
Black-necked  Stilt                     Himantopus mexicanus
Killdeer                               Charadrius vociferus
Spotted  Sandpiper                      Actitis macularius
Solitary  Sandpiper                     Tringa solitaria
Lesser  Yellowlegs                      Tringa flavipes
Long-billed  Curlew                     Numenius americanus
Stilt  Sandpiper                        Calidris himantopus
Least  Sandpiper                        Calidris minutilla
Semipalmated  Sandpiper                 Calidris pusilla
Wilson's  Phalarope                     Phalaropus tricolor
Laughing  Gull                          Leucophaeus atricilla
Least  Tern                             Sternula antillarum
Black  Tern                             Chlidonias niger
Forster's  Tern                         Sterna forsteri
Rock  Pigeon                            Columba livia
Eurasian  Collared-Dove                 Streptopelia decaocto
White-winged  Dove                      Zenaida asiatica
Mourning  Dove                          Zenaida macroura
Inca  Dove                              Columbina inca
Yellow-billed  Cuckoo                   Coccyzus americanus
Common  Nighthawk                       Chordeiles minor
Chimney  Swift                          Chaetura pelagica
Buff-bellied  Hummingbird               Amazilia yucatanensis
Golden-fronted  Woodpecker              Melanerpes aurifrons
Ladder-backed  Woodpecker               Picoides scalaris
Crested  Caracara                       Caracara cheriway
Green  Parakeet                         Aratinga holochlora
Great  Kiskadee                         Pitangus sulphuratus
Tropical  Kingbird                      Tyrannus melancholicus
Western  Kingbird                       Tyrannus verticalis
Scissor-tailed  Flycatcher              Tyrannus forficatus
Loggerhead  Shrike                      Lanius ludovicianus
Purple  Martin                          Progne subis
Bank  Swallow                           Riparia riparia
Curve-billed  Thrasher                  Toxostoma curvirostre
Northern  Mockingbird                   Mimus polyglottos
European  Starling                      Sturnus vulgaris
Common  Yellowthroat                    Geothlypis trichas
Dickcissel                             Spiza americana
Red-winged  Blackbird                   Agelaius phoeniceus
Great-tailed  Grackle                   Quiscalus mexicanus
Bronzed  Cowbird                        Molothrus aeneus
Orchard  Oriole                         Icterus spurius
Hooded  Oriole                          Icterus cucullatus
Lesser  Goldfinch                       Spinus psaltria
House  Sparrow                          Passer domesticus
64 SPECIES

Mary Beth  Stowe
McAllen, TX
_www.miriameaglemon.com_ (http://www.miriameaglemon.com/)