[texbirds] Thursday pictures: harlan's and swainson's hawks, nuthatches, vermilions, kinglets and more

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:48:43 -0600

The bird of the day had to be the very tame harlan's hawk kiting over the
short road to the boat launch right at the Anahuac buildings. It also
perched in the remaining trees inside the fence and went out among the
geese looking for goodies.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502646
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502647

It did a lot of kiting up in the wind and worked down toward the woodlot
area but always came back
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502645

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502644

Lots more pictures posted of a cool bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

An out of season swainson's hawk is also attending on the water birds there
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502586

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502588

And was attended upon by several caracara whenever it appeared to catch
something
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502587

And a grackle harassed it for a long time
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502585

Once upon a time, a swainson's would be unheard of here during the winter
but there seem to be more lingering during the winter with more in the
valley and south louisiana than the UTC.

Earlier in the morning a light colored red-tailed hawk appeared to be
deliquescent in the fog and getting soggier each time I passed
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502505

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502499

The land birds at the Skillern tract seemed to be concentrated at the
viewing platform including a male golden-crowned kinglet
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502483

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502479

The least flycatcher from a week ago was back in the thick stuff whitting
away. Both a female vermilion flycatcher
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502470

and a nice male were out in the marsh
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502467

Down at Smith Poing, Candy Abshier had a single couch's kingbird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502557

And the continuing herd of red-breasted nuthatches which were very
inquisitive
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502565

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502560

One got tired of my squeaking and mooned me
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502564

Earlier in the week a stop in Bear Creek park had pine warblers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502418

including one poking its nose back into there
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502420

A yellow-bellied sapsucker that was arguing with a red-headed woodpecker.
The red-head has an all dark head but has excavated a perfect hole that the
sapsucker kept trying to investigate
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502416

Eastern bluebirds look cool in the fog
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502415

Hermann park had ring-necked ducks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502405

which occasionally showed the ring-neck
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502403

But usually not
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502402

A very tame cooper's hawk sat for over half an hour. Its tail had no sign
of a terminal band
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502369

While I was watching the sitting hawk, a younger bun rabbit came to the
edge for water and the hawk set off after the bunny. On foot. It ran around
under the bushes after the rabbit, would climb up a foot or so to see
better and then run again. The rabbit could not get away without crossing a
large open area and the hawk could not catch up. I eventually left them to
the thicket
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/148502371

These and lots more pictures can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston