[texbirds] Thursday pictures, dickcissel beak, tern feet, summering birds etc

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2013 15:29:02 -0500

I started the day at Anahuac with one of the alternate song singing
dickcissel. I noticed for the first time that it has a blue beak like some
of the oriole people which is why some classify him as a blackbird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282255
I timed him and he kept it up for almost 10 minutes before moving to a new
perch
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282247

As I was slowing for the stop sign at 124 and 1985, something plopped down
to the road shoulder just in front of the car. It was a scissor-tailed
flycatcher fledging from the power pole nest that forgot its mother's
instructions to use its wings to fledge. The parent came down and checked
and then went back up to the other chicks
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282258

After a little twitching etc the chick flew off into the road edge small
trees, not well but capably.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282256

The lesser black-backed gull at Rollover was the only non-laughing gull for
the day. Wing feathers are in bad shape but it is growing new mantle
feathers
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282349

Some tern chicks show the variation in leg color can range from all black
to all orange. Here royal terns
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282355

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282356

And sandwich tern
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282358

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282357

Most of the adult eastern willets were not present on their usual fence
posts and some areas had no birds. They will mainly be gone in another week
or 10 days. I need to check up on a couple of chicks to see if a parent
does stay with them. This chick is about to be able to fly some
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282351

Note that the heavy bill with a blue base is present in the young birds
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282350

And even this smaller chick. Both chicks had only one attending parent
acting annoyed
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282353

Fulvous whistling ducks are scattered about in the few wet areas on Bolivar
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282345

And are one of the big footed ducks which helps them dive for food
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282348

Several magnificent frigatebirds from the ferry
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282363

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282361

the remaining wet spot at Brazoria had a female Wilson's phalarope with
white starting to show on the back of the head
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282364

As well as some in winter plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282365

A lingering lesser scaup looked like it was swimming but the water is no
deeper than on the phalarope pictures
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282368

The horned grebe on the Freeport hurricane levee at Quintana is starting to
molt
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282369

But the male ruddy ducks there are still in breeding plumage
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/151282370

All and more can be browsed at
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/inbox

--