[texbirds] This year's competition with Rich Kostecke - March Report

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <terrverts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2014 12:45:19 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings All:
I will submit my full report of this year's game (how many species I can
find in my region) for March separately but I figured that I should let folk
know
how things are going with me and my region (Bailey, Lamb, Hale, Floyd, Motley,
Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby, Dickens, Yoakum, Terry,
Lynn, Garza, and Kent) versus Rich Kostecke and his region (Bell,
Williamson, Travis, Falls, Milam, Lee, Burleson, Washington, Fayette,
Brazos, Austin, Colorado, Madison, Grimes, Waller).

By the end
of March Rich had tallied 196 species in his region and I was at 167 for my
region.  In other words, by the end of March, I had at least caught up with his
end of February number!  At the end of January he was safely ahead of me (137
to 98), by the end of February he was starting to slip (167 to 135), and by the
end of March his performance was definietly flagging (196 to 167).  I am
reasonably confident that, even if our drought holds, I should be able to wear
him down to a mere twenty species lead.

Still hoping  for what the locals affectionately refer to as a 'toad-choker',
Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson, Lubbock.