[texbirds] This morning in NE Austin

  • From: Dan Smith <dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 11:01:34 -0600

With the temperature in the teens when I left the house (it’s only up to 21 now
in my neighborhood), it seemed like a good morning for drive-around birding
with the windows up. I keep hoping for some of the northern raptors to show up
in agricultural land in my patch in N Austin. There was not much stirring, but
I was pleasantly surprised by an immature Bald Eagle gliding fairly low over
Walnut Creek at Old Manor Road. Would have been over Davis White NE Park when I
first saw it. Also had a Kestrel in the clearing of the park near the
intersection of Crystal Brook and Pecan Brook Drives. I then drove over to
Walnut Creek Metro Park and through and back. There was a flock of about 160
Cedar Waxwings in trees about midway and near the major parking areas. Too cold
to get out.

Dan Smith
dan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
512-451-2632