[texbirds] They're baack! - Highland Mall (Austin) Purple Martins, Saturday 6-22-13

  • From: drbirdie@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:32:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Texbirders,
I went to see a movie last night with my brother and nephew, and decided to
check on the Highland Mall Purple Martin roost afterwards. Even from the Galaxy
10 Theater parking lot I could see a swarm of hundreds of birds, but when I
reached the north side of the mall, I could see tens of thousands of birds.
I arrived shortly before 9 p.m. The sun had set, but it was still light enough
to see pretty well.
I estimate the number of birds there last night to be at least 100,000, and it
included quite a few all-black adult males.
I would guess about one fifth of the birds last night were adult males.

The martins were using the "grackle trees" along the north entrance to the
mall, rather than the Wells Fargo trees across E. Highland Mall Blvd. There is
a large construction site-type dumpster trailer there, and a bright light on a
tall light standard, and perhaps that's why they have shifted to those trees.
The grackles were mostly gone by the time I arrived, although I did hear one or
two flybys, so they have shifted to other trees, I guess.
There were also several nighthawks, and I saw at least one out-of-his-league
Cave Swallow fly-by.

A few other cars of martin-watchers were also present last night.
The location is the north side of Highland Mall, at the intersection of
Jonathon Dr. and E. Highland Mall Blvd.
This is the northwest side of the intersection of Hwy 290 (aka Koenig Lane) and
I-35.
It is still one of the most awesome urban wildlife spectacles you will ever see.
Good birding ya'll,
Byron Stone, Austin