[texbirds] The original bird police?, Or best ever bird day judge?

  • From: "Collins, Fred (Commissioner Pct. 3)" <Fred_Collins@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1 Texbirds (texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 21:55:41 +0000

The original bird police?, Or best ever bird day judge?
The Happy Hammers Club was a youth group who exchanged notes in the newspaper.
Mistress Primrose was the original bird police and she kept the happy hammers
in check... well at least she answered their request. Note this exchange from
Sept 5, 1897 Houston Daily Post.

Cypress Top Texas,  Dear Mistress Primrose: Here I am again to say that corn is
my favorite plant. I will also send in a bird list later on. I want to ask
Mistress primrose a question: May we count all the birds that belong together,
as ducks? There are so many kinds. Or just put down duck, hawk, etc. I will
close.
Your friend Katherine M. Ollard
(Yes, you may count all the varieties of one species as separate birds and thus
swell your list considerably.)

Researching history can have its lite moments.

Fred Collins, Director
Cypress Top Historic Park
Kleb Woods Nature Center
20303 Draper Road,Tomball TX 77377