[texbirds] Re: "The drought continues"

  • From: mtwoman <mtwoman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: z-Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2012 07:26:37 -0600

Richard...I live outside of Weatherford, and have been noticing the same
thing. I live right on the Brazos River, which has dried up so much right
here, that one can walk all the way across the river, and it's full of sand
bars. We still have some GBHs around, but I haven't seen..or heard..any
Kingfishers at all for about 3 months now, which is unusual looking at my
notes from the last 4+ years. Some cattle tanks are completely dried up and
all are low. When we had the winds a couple weeks ago, the air was packed
with dust; I watched the farmer's field across the way blowing away.
The real telling thing is the crowd at our birdbath...when there's a decent
supply of water overall, the visitors there are few. When it's dry, the BB
gets crowded. Even the deer get in the act, and they've been there daily
lately, emptying it of water. Our visitors include: Cardinals, Bluejays
(who usually don't come at all), Bluebirds, Mockingbirds, White-Crowned
sparrows, White-Winged doves, Crows (who REALLY don't usually come), House
finches, Eastern Phoebe, and passers-through.

I agree that we are in a drought of some level, yet I am not seeing the
news folk say anything. I hope it doesn't get as bad as it did a year
ago....we haven't really recovered from that even yet!

Here's the current drought map:
http://www.drought.gov/drought/content/tools/area-drought-information

Tzila "Z" Duenzl
Horseshoe Bend, Weatherford, Texas