[texbirds] The June report of the Kostecke:Hewetson competition

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 16:28:54 -0500

Rich Kostecke, with his well-watered, Austin-based realm of fifteen
counties had made it to 262 species of birds by the end of June while I
with my Lubbock-centered  droughtastrophe of fifteen-county region had
fallen behind again with a mere 256 species of birds.
Things have gotten difficult enough, in terms of finding new birds, that I
can actually track additions a bit more easily.  Kosteck's June additions
were, in order added, Cactus Wren, Verdin, Acadian Flycatcher, Kentucky
Warbler, Purple Gallinule, Hairy Woodpecker, and Barn Owl.  Hewetson's June
additions were, in order added, Neotropic Cormorant and Chuck-will's-widow.

The July report should be a bit more exciting for at least one of us (all
right, it's Kostecke, blast it all) as he has had a run of recent additions
and I am still awaiting the first hint of fall migration.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock